Are you looking ahead to the new year and your plans for a new knowledge base to house your content? Have you also thought about how to move your content into the new knowledge base?
Whether moving furniture from one house to another or content from one knowledge base to another, moves are easier when a clear plan is established. Let’s discuss how you can get started planning your content migration.
Step 1: Decide what will be the scope of your migration.
Depending on your industry, you may need to bring all of your content over to the new knowledge base, due to regulatory requirements, or you may be able to leave some behind. If the scope of the migration is large, especially if you’re bringing everything, it’s a best practice to rank each area of content, with the highest priority items moving to the new knowledge base first.
If you’re only moving some of your content, you need to do an analysis on your legacy content to establish which content moves and which content can be archived elsewhere. We suggest you use the 80-20 rule: roughly 20% of your content is used most often by your end users. This is the content that you’ll move. For the other 80%, you can always come back later and identify additional content to migrate.
Step 2: Decide whether to clean up your content now or later.
No doubt some of your content is older that the rest. Maybe some content doesn’t follow your newest guidelines. Maybe content is out of date and needs updated. While you may be tempted chuck all of the content for migration into the new tool and clean it up later, a better practice is to clean up the content as you migrate it.
If you decide to clean the content as it’s migrated, here are additional things to consider:
Taxonomy: How will you structure content in the new tool? Use the same old structure, or establish a new structure? The latter may be helpful for buy-in for the new tool if your content managers or customer service agents have suggested changes to the taxonomy to resolve issues they’ve encountered.
Look and feel: How will your content look in the new tool? If the old style guidelines worked well, you may decide to replicate those styles in the new tool, but if there are tweaks you’ve been waiting for the right time make them, now is the time to implement changes.
Accuracy and consistency: Finally, it’s a good idea to establish parameters for tidying up any inconsistencies in knowledge presentation and accuracy, as well as flagging out of date content.
Step 3: Plan for a pilot program
Once you’ve planned how the content will be migrated, the last step is to consider parameters for a pilot program. You should identify the stakeholders in the migration, a block of content to be migrated as a test, the individuals who’ll do the work, and anyone who will need to review the migrated content. The migration team should include at least one subject matter expert on the content, especially if the migration team consists of outside contractors without prior knowledge of your content. The team of reviewers should also include at least one SME, as well as any applicable stakeholders.
Step 4: Pitch your plan to others and gain sign-off for your plan
Behind every customer experience transformation initiative, there are business challenges that are on the minds of executive leaders. Make it a priority to gather specifics on budget allocations for this initiative. It is absolutely critical that you understand expectations around budgeting before moving forward. When you make your pitch, establish specific goals/objectives to measure impact. Put numbers to the business impacts that are measured.
Once you’ve established your migration plan and gained sign-off on your initiative, you’re set to build out your teams and plan the execution phase.